2.08.2011

Spice Rack
I am so excited to have completed my built in spice rack. For years I have dreamed about opening the cabinet/pantry door and seeing my spices all lined up. We'll, it is now a reality!
A special thanks to my sister, Steph, who came over to help me get the ball rolling. She helped me figure out the dimensions and what type of wood I would need. then we went to Home Depot, bought the wood and extra tools required to complete the project.
Here is a look at the process I went through to create this wonderful spice rack. {By the way I purchased the jars at Ikea before hand then made the shelf to fit the jars.}

The door/pantry before.
You can tell it is packed and I am in need of a little more storage.

Most of the pieces needed to create the shelf.

Step 1: sand, sand, sand
All the pieces needed to be sanded.
Some more than others ;-)

Step 2: place the pieces together and make sure everything fits. . .

including the jars!

Step 3: Square the frame before drilling.

Step 4: Preset the hole for easier drilling.

Step 5: Drill the screw holes.
{I later found out there is a tool to do these last 2 steps at once, LOL}

Step 6: Countersink the screw holes so they are flush.

Step 7: repeat about 23 times!

Step 8: Apply wood glue to the joints and screw all the pieces together.

Step 9: Screw the back on.

Step 10: Place the dowels in place, drill a small hole and nail dowels in place.

Step 11: The spice rack is completely assembled.
Next, I filled in the holes and another round of sanding.
It just needs a couple coats of paint and it is ready to install!

Step 12: Install on the pantry door.
Once the paint was completely dry I screwed it directly to the back of the pantry door. I created it as wide as possible to still allow the door to close. This helped insure it would have something to anchor to when screwed into the hollow door.

I love the way it turned out. I used clear labels to show what is in each jar.


Step 13: Create another one for the bottom of the door . . . another project to add to the list. =)
{This was my first woodworking project.
Forgive me if I got some terminology wrong.}

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Way to go ladies! It really looks great.

Anonymous said...

It looks great. Your valentine decor is cute too. It was fun seeing your family pictures and all your neices and nephews I haven't seen yet.

The AZ Zs said...

LOVE IT! SOOOOOO impressed Miss Heather! Now get to cookin' and use those spices!