10.16.2011

Guest Bath

Back in July, over the holiday weekend, I set out to tackle a few projects in my guest bathroom. Although, I did not have funds to replace the counter top and faucet, I did as much as I could to transform the space. Here are a few before and after photos.

 This is what the space looked like after I bought the house.

  I started by removing the large builder grade mirror. It was glued on with a black tar like substance. I used a blow-dryer to heat it up and gently prey it away from the wall.
 
 Small spots of drywall came off with some of the tar and left these lovely blotches.

 My brother, Ryan, was kind enough to come help me patch the wall. He taught me a few things along the way and I was able to finish up  on my own the next morning.
 I was given this mirror by a friend. It was in line to be donated but I scored it just in time.
 
 I glazed the frame of the mirror with an slightly off white wash.
I also used a new product, Rust-oleum Transformation Kit, to redo the builder grade cabinets. 
It was a four step process. 
After cleaning the cabinet I used a deglosser to take off the old protective coat.  
 The second step was to paint the base color.
Next, I applied a glaze that darkened the color and brought back the wood grain. The fourth step was to apply several protective coats. I added new hardware and the look was complete.
 This was the inspiration for the whole bathroom. I found it at Target and after several weeks of debating I paid full price for it, something I rarely do these days. However, I truly love it. It is calm, peaceful and pretty to look at. =)
 I took the standard "Hollywood light" down and found the light box was not centered over the sink, ergh!  My dad came over and helped move it over and up so I could put up an updated light fixture. Thanks for showing me how dad!
The wall color was inspired by the shower curtain, a soft blue-gray with a slight teal.
{The photos below are a better example then those above. Bathroom photography is tricky!}
 I ordered a canvas print of this photo I took several years ago when I was in Stone Harbor, New Jersery . It completes the space for me and is why I waited so long to post the updated bathroom.
This is what I see as I walk down the hallway, it makes me smile. Every time I paint and redo a room it becomes my new favorite space.
As I make over each room, my house becomes more and more my home!

2 comments:

The AZ Zs said...

Very Very Very nice!! Love the shower curtain too! :)

Stephanie said...

I love it. It's so relaxing. Nice job!